Self-Guided Cycling and Mountain Bike Holidays in Derbyshire and the Peak District
Come and stay at Glendon for your self-guided cycling and mountain bike short breaks and holidays. If you are cycling in the Peak District we have secure cycle storage for 12 cycles and dedicated cycle racks. The Derbyshire countryside is stunning, and there’s no better way to see it then from your bike. Enjoy the numerous cycle paths and country lanes across the county. The Peak District and Derbyshire offers all types of cycle routes for every ability. From a gentle self-guided family cycle ride on a traffic-free cycle trail, along canal towpaths and old railway lines to more challenging Peak District mountain biking trails across challenging terrain and steep climbs.
Cycle across Derbyshire and the Peak District
Cycle across Derbyshire and the Peak District
We are Ideally Situated for Cycling Short Breaks and Holidays
- Glendon Bed and Breakfast is 500 yards from Matlock train station, cyclists can carry bikes free of charge on East Midlands Trains, which connects into to the wider rail network, so great for a few days away. Just pick up your bike, jump on a train and you can stay with us for a few days of fresh air, amazing scenery and hearty breakfasts, leaving you free of cars and bike racks.
- There’s no need to worry about stocking up with food, drinks and snacks. We are walking distance from Matlock centre which has a plethora of shops, cafes and restaurants, open throughout the day and evening, perfect for cyclists arriving in the evening after work and for stocking up ahead of a day in the saddle.
- If you fancy a day of rest, you can leave you bike safely locked up with us and travel by train or bus to local villages and places of interest such as Bakewell, Chatsworth House and Baslow. Our Matlock tourist office has all the information.
- Regular road cyclists can do the half-day Matlock moors, hills and mill cycle route straight from our door.
- For cyclists who love organised events and the challenge of tough climbs in our surrounding hills then the Matlock Top 10 sportive is for you. There are a range of other sportive events run throughout the year with short and long option.
Cycle Routes for Every Level
There are miles of traffic-free trails, easy-going cycle routes, suitable for families and those who like gentler ride. Medium distance cycle routes for leisure cyclists with some hills and challenges and Mountain bike routes for those who want to be challenged!
There are lovingly restored trails on former railway lines, including the Monsal Trail, Tissington Trail and High Peak Trail, Manifold Track, Longdendale Trail and the Five Pits Trail.
The Monsal Trail has to be the most spectacular, a section of disused Midland Railway line that once connected Manchester with London. Built in 1863, this trail goes over some fantastic viaducts, the biggest one being Headstone Viaduct, giving cyclists a breath-taking view as they pedal by!
For mountain bikers, the riding terrain varies from tough, exposed moorland routes to green lanes and bridleways. For a top challenge, and a high-octane workout, visit Edale or the Hope Valley, Jacob’s Ladder, Eyam, Ashover and Stanage Edge. Less demanding routes can be found in the Goyt Valley near Buxton or on the Derwent Reservoirs circuit.
Find out more about cycling routes:
Secure Cycle Storage and More…
Here at Glendon we have a secure storage garage on site with room for at least 12 cycles. There are 9 dedicated cycle racks to enable you to store your bike and equipment safely. Giving you peace-of-mind when not in the saddle that your bike and equipment is safe and secure should you wish to walk into town to enjoy our pubs, restaurants and shops in Matlock.
Cycle Hire in Derbyshire and the Peak District
If you don’t have room to bring your bikes, or fancy a change from touring in the car, there are a range of providers that hire bicycles in Derbyshire and the Peak District, some will even deliver to Glendon Bed and Breakfast.
- Middleton Top Cycle Hire
- Hassop Station Cycle hire, including electric bikes
- Glory Days
- Stanley Fearn Cycles – local shop for equipment and repairs
We look forward to welcoming you and your bikes for self-guided cycling and mountain bike holidays, whether you are after a nice leisurely ride, or the spectacular passes on offer for thrill-seekers who want something to sink their teeth into. Throughout the Peak District you will always be surrounded by areas of historic interest and its natural dramatic landscape.